Sunday 4 August 2013

Day 24 - Torture !!


I think this morning was the first time I've seriously thought 'i cannot do this today' - lack of sleep, blisters, sunburn and rain!

As expected, didn't get too much sleep last night as my back and shoulders felt like they were on fire !!!!! Still ruing the massive schoolboy error from not applying any sunscreen whilst donning my nice little purple number !!

If i thought the t-shirt tan was ridiculous then what greeted me in the mirror this morning was bordering on the insane !!!

The new blisters that I acquired yesterday were also proving troublesome today, so all in all this morning was a complete nightmare (I resembled John Wayne walking through the fields !!) - oh, and, as you know I'm not one to moan - it was also hammering down with rain !! One happy chappy........ ;(


Having not had a phone signal for the last 24 hours further dampened my mood !!

Anyway, as with most of this challenge so far, happier things were around the corner !! 
And Liz Cousens (a member of a local MNDA branch) was the bearer of said happiness !! 

(See how well I'm masking the pain of the last 3 hour walk !!!)

She treated me to a much needed latte and provided me with a packed lunch! As well as taking the backpack to Solva for me (my raw shoulders screamed with delight!!) 
(Thankyou Lis - this really perked me up).

With renewed vigour I plodded on for the next 3 hours before arriving at the Solva memorial hall, where the South West Wales branch had held a coffee/cake afternoon to raise funds to contribute to our challenge !! I got to meet some great people, some of which I'll be inflicting my moans & groans on tomorrow as they walk with me (I have pre-warned you guys!!!).

I was then picked up by my host for the evening, Jon, who together with his lovely family have taken me in, suitably fed me and provided me which much awaited comfort for the evening. (Many thanks !)

So, in truth mate, this morning I was prob my lowest since the walk began, but again thanks to some great people, the afternoon was much more positive - it re-iterated the reasoning behind it all! 

I never forget about the objectives of this walk, it's just sometimes numerous little narky (doubt that's a word!) things combine to screw with my head !!

My feet are now literally in bits and the sunburn will take a few days to subside but my enthusiasm, although tested at times, will not diminish! 

2 weeks today I'll be done - there's still a long road ahead, but that just means more time to raise more awareness and more funds !! This carthorse ain't done yet! 

On a more cheery note for you, looks like Liverpool are resigned to the fact they'll lose Suarez, which means they'll definitely win jack all and finish below the Toffees again !

Goodnight Gar. Hope you didn't take too much pleasure out of seeing me in that dress !!

PS - word has spread so much these last few weeks they've named a place after me ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment