Monday 5 August 2013

Day 25 - Long road home

Probably bored you stupid yesterday mate with the moans & groans (again!!!!) - sorry.

Today was a tad better lol !!
In fact today started off with me cursing the hell out of the skies ! More rain !! Someone up there is playing funny bu**ers with me ! Burn me to a crisp one day and then flood me the next !!

I didn't have chance to dwell on the negatives today though as I was joined by some lovely people!
This morning, Luana and her daughter Laura braved the elements to join me from Solva. I had met these amazing women at the cake sale I attended yesterday - from which by the way they raised approx £200 !!!


These two get involved in a lot of fundraising for MND in this area and raise a hell of a lot of money in the process, backed by a very active South West Wales branch. 

Today's terrain resembled an ice rink at times ! And doing a 'bambi on ice' impression isn't recommended when perilously close to the cliff edge !!


When we got about 2 hours in we then met up with some more fabulous fundraisiers ! Kate Byron, Amy Jones and their wonderful families came along to support me too. Kate and her father walked the next 3/4 miles with us and joined me in cursing the weather ;)


In fact all my fellow walkers and supporters today helped tremendously in lifting my spirits from yesterday. 


There's a lot of very good people out there doing a lot of incredible work for the charity. Again it was humbling to hear their own personal experiences with the disease and how it's affected their families.

So far so good !?! Great company, no moaning about my blisters, no sun = no sunburn, even the rain stopped this afternoon ! But......

I was alone for the last hour or so of my journey - which only meant one thing !! Yep I GOT BLOODY LOST again !!

All I had to do was take a turning off the coastal path towards the village of Marloes. Simple instruction. 

2 and a half hours later I found myself
In Martins Haven at top of the peninsula with nowhere else to possibly walk !! Cue mild panic. 
I text Kirsten for postcode of YHA (this info was in my backpack which Mrs Jones had kindly taken back for me earlier in the day!!). Text reply came back with a postcode that was 25 miles away !!! Cue extreme panic !!!!
Luckily, the postcode was wrong and I was only lost by 3.5 miles !!! Which, with my feet was still not a great prospect ! 

Some kind-hearted folk took pity on me and offered to take me to my hostel - extremely generous of them and for which ill be forever thankful! - today was an approx 23 mile slog which could've and should've been less & easier !
(They also kindly donated £5 !!)

So by now, I'm knackered (as usual!) and in need of shower, cider, food and bed (preferably in that order......)

Who do I get roomed with in the hostel !??!?? Marloes' equivalent of Michael Parkinson !! This guy is a nice enough chap but my god can he talk !!! 

Took me 20 mins to get past him and out the door for a shower, another 20mins to get out and past him to get into he local pub! I've started writing this blog in the pub to delay my return and hopefully avoid another inquisition when I get back there !!

I must mention the hostel, they have been great, given me a towel and the manager drove me into the village ! (Obviously could see the desperation on my face !!)

Tomorrow I head for Milford Haven - 25
Days through it now mate - feels more like 25 years ;) 

Another faux-pas before i publish this ! I thought I could get taxi from pub to YHA - oh no !! Don't be silly Justin !! Absolutely no chance - no taxis here ! So as I try and type these last few words, I'm 'Walking' (!!) back to the hostel (about a mile away!) - in flip flops !!!

God I pray Michael isn't still awake when I eventually get back there ;) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh no Just, hope you got a lift back to the hostel and hope Michael was asleep. You are doing a fantastic job. Not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, you wanted to raise awareness, today 1197 read the post on the Motor Neurone AWW branch. from that 12 people shared it. From there-------who knows but this is all because of what you are doing, so well done. Jill and Sheila

    ReplyDelete