Wednesday 14 August 2013

Day 34 - Wet but still smiling (just!)

After yesterday's tremendous coverage in the Daily Telegraph (link at end of blog) - I'm writing tonight's blog after hearing about the walk and our fight being broadcast live on Sky Sports !! After the Wales v Rep. Ireland game !!! (John-Paul you are an absolute gent, very much appreciated mate!!!).

Right, last 2 days mate have been a complete navigational nightmare ! Today, I can proudly announce - I DID NOT GET LOST !!!

But the joyous celebration stops there! 
Because it bl00dy chucked it down with rain for a good 4 hours of our walk today !! Not only rain, but walking along Cefn Sidal beach it was blowing a gale !

My fellow walkers today included the wife (who came back for more after yesterday's shambles!), Kaye (my wonderful host last night) and Ann (a work colleague of mine).


Now remember, Kirsten wasn't happy she didn't get to see a beach yesterday! Today, she walked across a beautiful one but STILL didn't get to see it - because her umbrella was permanently up ;) 



Right, so, picture this Gar, I have to walk 12/13 miles with 3 ladies who like to chatter ! - boy was I grateful for the umbrella ;)!! With the howling wind, I simply pretended not be able to hear them !

(Chatter, chatter, chatter, gossip, gossip)

I tried losing them in the wind at one point ;) 


At one point, I thought someone was taking the p*55, a crossroads in the middle of a beach !!??


In truth, they were great company and despite the abhorrent weather conditions, we kept our spirits high. 

(Took me 10 mins to get out of that deck chair !!)

Huge thanks to Pat & Clive for the excellent timing on the coffee interlude !!

Also, I promised not to mention the "lady toilet stops" along the route - so I won't ;)

We eventually reached Burry Port where, regardless of all the weather I had endured, my spirits were instantly lifted - my rugrats were here !!!!

(Awesome seeing these little gems again!) 

Within 10 minutes of the children walking with us, Lucas proclaimed he was bored and tired (Like father, like son !!)

We had now entered proper 'Turk' land ! Llanelli - land of the sospan !

Having reached our final destination for the day, I got to meet up with Glyn Jones, president of South West Wales MNDA branch.

(You can see, by this point Lucas had simply been work out by his 2 mile hike !)

I then got picked up by my friend Julia, who introduced me to her wonderful parents Dave & Jan. Again, I was spoilt rotten and am currently writing this blog overlooking Machynys Bay from my bed ! Awesome house, lovely meal out and great hospitality.
Huge thanks Julia, for arranging this, your parents are fantastic hosts!


I have a huge 3 days coming up, 2 x 24 mile days and a mammoth 27 miler on Saturday. But we've already hit the £9000 mark mate - so it's all worth the pain and my constant moaning :)

I'm sure I've kept Compeed and Lucozade in business these past 5 weeks ! Edging closer to the finish line.........

Massive thanks to:-  
• Mrs H-D for accompanying me last 2 days, sorry about the scenery & weather !
• Mrs Peploe, for transporting my backpack and your continued support 
• Dave and Jan for a lovely meal and hospitality
• Julia - for arranging it all tonight 
• Kaye and Chris, again for last night and the warm welcome
• Sarah, for the ciders and Haribo (my stable diet !!)  ;)

Link to article :- http://t.co/556R2cLXjt

No comments:

Post a Comment