Friday 16 August 2013

Day 35 - Inches from home now..

Apologies for late update, no wifi last night ;( 

Thurs Aug 15th:-
Absolutely exhausted today mate.
Not sure whether that's because I've been walking for 35 days or it's the result of Kirsten bending my ear for 2 full days ;) (that's a joke, dear wife !!)

But i am definitely feeling the strain, it's bonkers to think I've been doing this for over a month now. May have a bout of 'ForestGumpitis' ..............

After a good night sleep and a heartily cooked breakfast, I set off early from Bynea and headed to Rhossili. 
Again, with the luxury of not having to lug my rucksack around with me (thankyou Julia!).


The photo above was what I saw at the start, I was on one side of the estuary and needed to get across to other side !! If only I could've waded across it !! 
At one point, walking through Lougher I passed a sign that said Welcome to the County of Swansea, yet I still had a 2 day detour around the Gower to endure before actually going through Swansea - bl00dy tease!

This was the only part of the coastal path I have actually walked before (my one and only real training walk a few months ago!) So I knew what to expect and knew the terrain etc. The weather forecast wasn't ideal but it ended up being much better than expected - only light intermittent showers. 

I think we're in unprecedented territory too - i didn't get lost - 2nd day on the trot ;), typical - the walk is ending and I'm getting better navigationally !

Although, truth be told, I did take a wrong turning into a wrong field at one point ;) But a captive audience of sheep soon put me back on the right path!


The terrain was generally good, a few marshlands and some dunes to tackle, mixed in with a few familiar undulations! (But it has been flat last few days, so it was good to impersonate Edmund Hilary again)

Today I also had the pleasure of walking across Rhossili Bay ! What a "peach of a beach" 



In the distance on top of walkway (second pic) are my hosts for the evening - a fantastic cafe/restaurant/family run business - The Bay Bistro. Some stunning views overlooking the beach - would highly recommend paying this place a visit ! Owner Sue, kindly offered me accommodation and has looked after me very well. 

In fact Gar, all throughout this walk, loads of different people have been extremely generous in putting me up in their own homes, have paid for hotels and fed (over fed) me - it would have been a lot more challenging had I not been spoilt rotten by these kind folks.

Having arrived at Rhossili, I happened to bump into a 'fan of the walk' ! Welsh Football Manager Chris Coleman !

(We obviously share an affinity with pink shirts)

He nagged & nagged for my photo, so I reluctantly obliged ;). He asked about the walk and was genuinely interested in the reasons behind it etc. I didn't have the heart to ask him to buy me a pint as well ...........

Tonight I'm gonna try and get at least 10 hours kip in ! Long 2 days of walking before Sunday - one last push to the finish.

Tell your dad I'll pay him to walk through Swansea with me on Saturday, if he wears his Cardiff City shirt ;) - actually don't because he probably would !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment